Apr 10, 2011

A Great Place to Be

Literally and figuratively.

First - here I've been spending the past six months living in the Caribbean, during the winter no less.  Although I've had my share of ups and downs, I can't say enough about how much I have loved St Croix and everything about it.  My amazing friends, the warm weather, incredible views, a laid back pace of life - all things I will miss and take with me in my fond memories of my time here. 

Second - it's a great feeling knowing that I'm going back not because I want to leave this beautiful place, but just because I know where home is and this experience was an important lesson in learning that.  Had I spent any less time here, I think I would have left with a lot of "what if's" and a restlessness that I wasn't ready to go.  The past two months have provided me exactly what I was looking for.  As much as I love it here, time away from home has really made me miss it.  I've been able to put a lot of priorities in check ... and all signs point to going back.  Of course we'll see how long that feeling lasts before I'm wanting to come back to St Croix =)

In the spirit of being ready to go home, I somehow misplaced my bucket list this week.  Ironic that I was just telling a friend that I had crossed off all the "must do's" and truly felt that I have accomplished what I set out to do on this journey.  I even felt so complete that I started looking into a trip to another island for one of my last weekends.  When I moved down here, I assumed I would be hopping all around the islands.  Though it's hard to justify a vacation in the Caribbean when you already live there!  At least I have learned a lot about many of the other islands, so I have a nice list of new places to visit someday.  I will save my Caribbean vacations for when I'm living back home and really in need of an island getaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment